Saturday, December 10, 2005

Richard Pryor: 1940-2005

Sitting on the Couch, Shaking My Head – (DCF) – Richard Pryor – comedian, actor, writer – died today at the age of 65 years old, from an apparent heart attack.

Pryor, who was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1986, and suffered a massive heart attack in 1990, after which he had triple-bypass surgery that same year.

Starting out as a stand-up comedian, Pryor eventually turned to acting, most notably in comedy films, such as “The Toy”, “Harlem Nights” and “Silver Streak”, as well as serious films, including “Lady Sings The Blues” and “Jo Jo Dancer, Your Life Is Calling”, a semi-autobiographical film that Pryor himself said “refused to be written as a comedy.”  All told, Pryor appeared in 40 different films.

He also co-wrote the script for the Mel Brooks film, “Blazing Saddles”.

After being diagnoses with his disease, he left acting, but continued to perform stand-up comedy, but sitting down.  Many were impressed by his ability to continue working long after suffering such a debilitating disease.

When Pryor suffered the heart attack this morning, his wife, Jennifer Lee Pryor, whom he remarried in 2001 after they had already divorced 19 years ago, tried to revive him before calling paramedics, who took him to Encino Hospital, where he died.

"He enjoyed life right up until the end," Mrs. Pryor said, adding that Pryor had been laughing a lot and was in good spirits in the two weeks preceding his death. "At the end, there was a smile on his face."

On a personal note, I was deeply upset to hear that Pryor had passed away.  He was without a doubt one of the funniest comedians of all time, and his wit and humor will be sorely missed.

I remember the first comedy album I ever heard.  My brother had borrowed a tape of “Richard Pryor: Live on Sunset Strip”, and he and I listened to it over and over.  At the time, I was too young to know what a lot of the jokes meant, but he made me laugh with the ones I did.  Since then, I’ve heard a lot of his work, as well as seen a lot of his films, and I remain impressed every time I’m exposed to anything he did.

Richard Pryor – Rest In Peace

All the best,
Derek
(DCF)    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home