Saturday, February 25, 2006

Sex Pistols to Hall of Fame: "We're not your monkeys."

The Sex Pistols, considered by just about every rational, thinking human being to be the godfathers of Punk, are going to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

And they couldn't care less.

In a rather harsh, hand-written letter to the organization that runs the Hall of Fame, the group said that they would not be attending the induction ceremony, and said the museum run by the organization is "urine in wine." The text of the letter (errors and all) is as follows:
Next to the SEX-PISTOLS rock and roll and that hall of fame is a piss stain. Your museum. Urine in wine. Were not coming. Were not your monkey and so what? Fame at $25,000 if we paid for the table or $15000 to sqeak up the gallery goes to a non-profit organisation selling us a load of old famous. Congradulations. If you voted for us, hope you noted your reasons. Your anonymous as judges, but your still music industry people. Were not coming. Your not paying attention. Outside the shit-storm is a a real SEX PISTOL.
The band, consisting of main members Johnny Rotten, Steve Jones, Glen Matlock, Paul Cook and the late Sid Vicious, released the album Never Mind the Bollucks, Here's the Sex Pistols, which featured the hits "Anarchy in the UK", "God Save the Queen", "Pretty Vacant" and "Holidays in the Sun", in 1977. In January of the next year, singer Johnny Rotten quit the band. Sid Vicious, the band's bassist, moved to New York, where he continued as a solo artist. The other members of the band went to Brazil on a "working vacation".

In October of 1978, Sid Vicious was arrested for the murder of his girlfriend, Nancy Spungen. He died four months later of a heroine overdose.

Responding to the letter from the group, Susan Evans, director of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, said: "They are being the outrageous punksters they are, and that’s rock and roll.”

All the best,
Derek
(DCF)

1 Comments:

Blogger ThatBobbieGirl said...

I like their attitude, and couldn't agree more unless someone could translate the note for me.

When I lived in Cleveland from 1997 throught 1999, I was less than five miles from the R&R HOF. Never once did I feel the urge to spend way too much money to look at rich people's old stuff.

It may be just me, tho. When I lived in Canton Ohio, I never once went to the Pro Football HOF. And now that I'm in Gettysburg, I avoid tourist attractions like the plague that they are. Guess I'm just a homebody.

If anyone wants me, I'll just be here in my cave.

~~ThatHermitGirl

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home